I wanted to interview photographers. Meet new people. Learn something new, and have tons of fun making new friends. My friend Christine Jordan is the first of many interviews.
I met Christine in Our Littles Collected group on Facebook. Every Sunday we share one picture of our littles, what a joy! I asked to do interviews and she was the first to sign up.
1. Tell me a little about yourself?
I am a passionate person with the need to be creative. I find photography silences the noise, the noise that needs to be shut out.
2. Where are you from in this world?
I am from Vancouver BC. Born and raised, I am first generation and have dual passport to Germany.
3. Do you have a Family? wife, husband, kids or crazy parents?
I do have a family, one that is very important to me. I have a husband of 16 years and two of the sweetest two kids I could have ever wanted. Not to say i don’t ever feel like i am going to go crazy and the need to run away but they ground me.
4. How do you find balance between life and being a business owner? Do you have a supportive village?
I don’t, I struggle with balance A LOT. I can not seem to make it work smooth. Either I feel I am working to much and ignoring my kids or ignoring my work and have so much fun. I prefer the having to much fun. I have a ton of support and great community of photographer from all over the world.
5. How do you describe your style of photography?
My style. hum. My style is not for everyone. I generally shoot pretty dark and have a rougher edit style. I also need to tell a story, I like to document the real story. Nothing better than going to a clients house and taking photos for them and the new baby and having a giant pile of laundry that needs folding beside them, dishes in the sink, messy hair, no make up…… IT IS REAL.
6. What equipment do you use most? Favorite lens?
I have the Canon 5dmkii. And my most favourite lens is the 85L but the most used lens is my 24-70 mkii. I need the wide angle for when I go to someone’s house, the 85 is to long most of the time.
7. What is your dream equipment? something you drool over.
35L ooooh. I dream about that lens. oooh. ahhhh.
8. Do you advice for up and coming photographers. the good, the bad and the ugly advice?
I do. follow your heart, follow your passion. You don’t need to be doing what you think will sell, you need to be doing what YOU want and like to do. Your clients will find you and love that you put your whole self into it.
9. What is your pet peve about a session?
When mom is shouting over my shoulder. SMILE! SMILE! I know everyone wants a great image but nobody is happy when it is tense.
10. Favorite food to put in your mouth?
I love ALL food, this is a hard one. I am a real fruit lover so probably a perfect dark red bing cherry.
11. Most embarassing moment during a session?
I forgot my memory card.
12. Who are your models in life and photography?
My role models are my kids. Everyday they teach me more, how to be a better person. In the photography world…. There are a few. Here are a few off the top of my head Steve McCurry, Alain Laboile, Jessica Dimmock, Stephanie Sinclair oh there are so many.
13. If you could be any Star Wars character which one and why?
star wars??? lol.
14. If stranded on an island which five things would you bring?
If I was stranded on an island I would bring… My camera, my lenses, my family.
15. Favorite author to read?
I don’t have a favorite author, but I do love to read. Nat Geo is my favorite Mag.
16. Who would be your dream photographer for your own family session?
Oh, my dream photographer would be… oh, this is hard. But i think i would love Alain Laboile.
17. What are your strengths and weaknesses in photography?
My strengths and weaknesses… My strength is my passion to go forward and the NEED to learn more, my weakness are my thoughts on my photos. I am rarely happy and out of ALL the photos i have ever taken, and that is a lot, i maybe have a few favourite.
18. What do you love more color or black and white images?
I LOVE black and white. I do know i edit a lot in B&W but some photos speak more in colour. It all depends which tells the story better.
19. Do you have any photography goals or plans for the future?
YES. I have lots of plans. I want to do as many personal project as I can. Get more of my kids. MORE MORE MORE of my kids. They are my main reason for picking up my camera EVERYDAY.
20. Nikon or Canon or Other?
21. Lightroom or Photoshop?
22. Favorite place to travel?
Hawaii, but i haven’t travelled a lot but i do know i would love Ireland, Germany and other places with tons of history.
23.What is your favorite movie and why?
My favorite movie has to be pulp fiction. Why? I love the way they shot it. So many cool perspectives.
24. Do you use props or no props?
No props. I try to use only the family or the subject, though they somethings have something that means something to them- i don’t think of that as a prop.
25. Favorite TV show growing up?
My favourite TV show growing up was golden girls. Why? It was a time me and my mom shared together. She worked a lot and that was a show she loved so I watched it with her. I still love that show.
26. Favoite quote?
It’s easier to build a child than repair an adult, choose your words wisely.
27.RAW or JPEG?
RAW for work. RAW+Jpeg for personal
28. Favorite band?
My favourite band… another hard one. I don’t really have one “the one” kind of thing. I love music and i could listen to most anything. I don’t get thrash metal. Sorry.
29. Did you learn photography in school or self taught?
I am self taught and always learning.
30. Anything weird in your camera bag?
I have stickers in my camera bag. I bribe kids with them 🙂
31. What is your favorite place to shoot, location?
My favourite spot to shoot is where the family has a connection. I love going into peoples homes.
32. What’s the worse thing clients can do to ruin a session?
If they stump my creativeness. I always make sure the client understands my style before they book me.
33. What makes a session great?
When everyone is happy and having a good time!
34. Name three things that people might be surprized to learn about you?
That I am colourblind. That is about it.
35. What is your lucky number?
I don’t have a favourite number. But i do have a ladybug rock my son painted for me. Ladybugs are good luck, It came with me to the hospital when i had my daughter.
36. If you couldn’t be a photographer what would you be doing?
I would be a lawyer.
37. What do you think it’s like to be on the moon?
I have never thought about being on the moon, but I bet it would be pretty cool. Dark and cold.
Thank you so much for your time Christine! I love your images, heart, and energy you bring, simply amazing.